Saturday, June 28, 2008

Barcelona, Espana

Hola! A new country at last! After spending all day on a train (probably about 14 hours) getting here, we finally made it to Barcelona, España. It´s pretty nice to be in a new place. I think that staying put (unless it was an absolutely beautiful place) would get old fast. But I´m really enjoying moving around a lot. This city sits right on the Mediterranean Sea which I got to jump in real fast yesterday. Really warm water and pretty blue too! The city is also kind of old, which is cool. The part of town that we´re staying in is full of old streets with buildings in really close quarters. When we first got here, we caught the last 10 minutes of the eurocup game and Spain won! The streets went absolutely nuts. Everyone came out of the bars and their homes and started singing the national anthem and the classic olé olé olé! It was pretty cool. Today we went on a nice hike up to the top of a nearby hill with a castle on it. Really neat views from the top. Tonight we´re going to the Jack Johnson/Mason Jennings concert here in town. Should be pretty fun!

So tomorrow we have a morning train to Madrid. We wanted to be there for the Eurocup Final game which is España versus Germany. I really hope spain wins because Madrid will go absolutely bonkers. I don´t think they´ve won a cup in a LONG time. And I heard that they haven´t beat Germany since 1982!

More to come! It sure is nice to be in a country that you know more of the language of! Getting around is ten times easier!

Adios!


Brian and me in the center of town.

Barcelona is full of history. This is an old square with a fountain and restuarants.

Starbucks has even made it to Barcelona. Actually, kind of a nice place to have a quiet time.

This is what I´m going to tonight with Brian! Mason Jennings and Jack Johnson!

3 comments:

Victoria said...

Hey Big Son!
I woke up to your blog entry early this California AM (the Poppy and Willow "wake-up call"!).
Wow, what a great time of exploration...I love the courtyard picture and can almost hear the fountain from here!
JJ in a couple hours? Hmmmm, banana pancakes are sounding good for breakfast! : )
Love and Miss you,
Mom

Victoria said...

Hi Austin,

You look great! Right in your element. By now the Jack Johnson concert is probably over. Mom and I are so jealous.

Barret comes home tomorrow (yeah). We can't wait to see him. Then we're off to Mount Hermon for the week. We'll be together as six, only missing you. Poppy and Willow miss you.

Safe travels to Madrid. Don't get trounced after the Eurocup.

Love you,

Dad

Annie said...

Austin,

I love you so much and am so happy that you are having such a great time...

I miss you! I wish I could have you here at the herm. I wanted to see you today in staff dining because its saturday and all the pondy people were there...including jason(we both ignored each other)

I love you so much and cant wait for the fall! I am loving my coffee cat card. can you please email me meagan's address so that i can send her a thank you?

xoxo,

praying for you

love the real pixie: )